More Than Sad Officer Download
1 in 5 U.S. adolescents aged 13-18 have experienced a serious mental health disorder1. Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death in young people aged 10-242.
More Than Sad is a 45 minute enhancement lesson designed for delivery by D.A.R.E. Officers to High School students, ideally in 9th or 10th grade. D.A.R.E. collaborated with the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP) to adapt this lesson for delivery by D.A.R.E. Officers. The purpose of the lesson is to teach teens to recognize the signs of depression in themselves and others, challenge the stigma surrounding depression, demystify the treatment process, and encourage students to talk to a trusted adult about mental health concerns.
- Identify signs and symptoms of depression in self and others.
- Recognize that depression is an illness that responds to treatment.
- Recognize that alcohol and other drugs have a negative effect on mental health.
- Describe ways to seek help with mental health.
- Identify treatment that is available and effective.